Hooked

So I realized how long it’s been since posting a project so I decided to write about one I did not too long ago. I found this piece at Goodwill for $3 and while I was drawn to it I also couldn’t help but think how awful the distressing part was. Just overdone. It was like I needed to convince myself that it could have another shot at life if I took it in.

img_0045

———————

img_0068

So I figured I’d give it a shot. It was just old and dirty so I have it a good clean. I used sand paper to clean the hooks and to my surprise when I scratched the ridiculous amount of grime off, the hooks were actually the prettiest copper finish… ever. I mean like the kind of finish that makes you instantly want everything else in your house to have some kind of copper element to it.

After cleaning those off I gave the piece a fresh coat of paint. Actually it was like two coats of paint. It was pretty simple with some white spray paint but I had to be careful of the paint bubbling.

Then I thought how can I distress it. I didn’t want to go overboard and end up with what I started with but I also didn’t want a puny shelf with barely any marks.

img_0038

Using light sandpaper I did a little here and a little there coming back and forth each time deciding whether to do a little more or not.

Fast forward and I’m pretty please with what I ended up with. Can’t wait to find that perfect spot to hang it and get to stare at the pretty copper hooks every day…

img_0054

just a TOUCHofcolour…

Advertisements

First Post!

Ok, so I’m probably overly excited about posting my first project so I chose an easy one to keep it simple for the first time around.

Recently moving into a new house with the beau, I started to gravitate (more like obsess) over how to incorporate two more chairs into our dining room so we could accommodate up to six people at a time for dinners or get together’s. (Irish and Italians come with a lot of people). The problem was that the set of 4 chairs we had was exactly that… only 4. So while wracking my brain and searching endlessly online for dark wood chairs, I remembered an amazing thing…

So it all came back to me how my grandmother had given 3 random chairs when she decided to get rid of all her belongings and up and move to Myrtle Beach, SC and have more of a social life than I do. Anyways… back on track… she gave me these beautiful chairs with dark wood that she had kept over the years and possibly reupholstered over a million times.

This is what I was working with:

Anyways, I immediately decided they would be a perfect addition and now I needed to find the perfect fabric. It took me about 10 minutes to find the fabric and only about one long, treacherous hour to clean it up with Murphy’s Oil Spray and a rag. But back to the exciting part… Navy with white and the perfect amount of a pattern. That is what I decided on. It would tie in with the navy on the carpet under the dining room table and also compliment the room with a new pattern. I also picked up some 1″ foam to make them a little bit more comfortable if you were to sit on it. I got about 2 yards and that was enough to finish two of the chairs. Wasn’t sure if I should do the third one just in case or as a backup, I’ll have to go get some more then.

Once home, I traced the seat onto the foam and cut out two for each seat this way the cushion was 2″ instead of just 1″. I used a glue gun to adhere it to the base of the seat to secure the foam in place. Then with a staple gun and my perseverance, I upholstered the seats with the fabric and voila!

Just a TOUCHofcolour